Saturday, January 24, 2009

Leg: a solid foundation for greg

I want to tell you guys a little bit about what all this stuff is about.


A while back I made 'Worm-hole.' It was a 10 x 10" steel cube with a hole sucking in through one side and out the other. Then I painted the whole thing black and added white grid lines- warping with the stresses of stretching spacetime. This was my strange little model of the universe, but what else? WTF?
Early on, my instructor for the sculpture class told me I wouldn't be able to do it that way I had proposed, but I went ahead anyway. It was a terrible mess of work hours; I cut the entire thing in two, and heated the remaining solid sides with an acetylene torch and pounded the contours of a quantum dimension before reuniting the pieces. It took forever to achieve such..let's say, organic...results. Yet precisely that, I realized, was the point. To demonstrate some complex theoretical idea through such a primal process of hammering and hammering away, suddenly seemed like such a beautiful metaphor for the human spirit. Our will to manipulate destiny among the absurd paradox of our condition! I had finally identified what it was that I had been doing with my odd works: Folk Science!


No comments: